Tuesday 13 July 2010

New Exhibitions



I am about to have a short break and the gallery is having a little breather of exhibitions before we launch into a breakneck series of shows and events in August beginning with a-n's very own Artists Talking editor Andrew Bryant who is bringing a group exhibition , The Eighteenth Emergency into Core Gallery . I asked Andrew a while ago if he wanted to bring a show to Core, confident in his vision, aesthetic, curation and judgement. I am curious to see how Core will once again be transformed .

Also , it shall be interesting to look at the contrast to our recent CSM MA fine art show and whether indeed there is a difference in approach, aesthetic etc

We also have a sculpture exhibition programmed in at the end of October which is also very exciting and shall be very transformative in the space. Rachel is super organised and has the show ready to rock and roll!

www.rachelpricesculpture.co.uk
www.squidandtabernacle.com/Price

The deptford x open submissions are pouring in and are fascinating and of a very high standard. I am looking forward to seeing the show that shall be selected
Get your entries in now! Just under 3 weeks to go!
2 exhibitions squeezed in this week: The Whitstable Biennal at which I saw the marvellous Kate Murdoch, an artist from Deptford whose work explores memory, identity, nostalgia in very interactive works.
http://www.katemurdochartist.com

Saw the RCA Show at last, painting and sculpture left me a bit cold and bored. I think it would be interesting if a show full of wildly convergent styles, themes , techniques, ideas had some information about the artists rather than a big black wall of silence. I think it would be beneficial. Although there seems to be a trend in art schools to not provide any explanation/statement etc. Art as experience , not art as engagement ……
.
For my own short break I am currently deciding which of the 5 books I don’t need to take . I have a beautiful Egon Schiele Landscape book which I currently adore, Ways of Seeing by John Berger, How to be an Artist by Michael Atavar ( very interesting and not patronising at all – should be called how to try and balance your life and mental health as an artist! ) Then Pablo Neruda Poetry and Orhan Pamuk’s novel My Name is Red……

No comments:

Post a Comment